Wednesday, January 26, 2011

my sweet daughter.

What started as an awful bedtime routine ended so beautiful and sweet!

I am not feeling well at all-I have chills, body aches, headache and a cough. Darin let me rest for a while, then I went down to make dinner, which wasn't served until almost 7:00. There were messes everywhere, as well and the kids were not listening AT ALL!!! The were hyper and didn't want to do anything I asked them to do.

Finally we got teeth brushed, jammies on and struggled through about 10 verses of the Book of Mormon. When I say struggled, I mean it. We are trying so hard to read every night, but haven't figured out what will work yet.

Anyhow I was not happy at all. I told the kids they wouldn't go sledding, they wouldn't have TV all day tomorrow, etc. I said some things that probably weren't nice-like the fact that I know other kids who listen to their mommies, so why don't they? The minute it came out of my mouth, I felt bad. Then Darin talked about a lack of discipline and I just burst into tears. I feel so overwhelmed with life right now, I just lost it. We had a fairly successful family prayer, then gave hugs and tucked kids in. Miraculously, the boys have not wandered out.

So I went and tucked Jordan in. I hugged her and told her I loved very much and was very happy she was my daughter.

I then went into my room and laid down and cried and cried. A few minutes later, Jordan wandered in my room. I invited her up on the bed, and she had a book with her. She told me she was laying in her bed thinking of what she could do to help me. She said "I can read to you." So I turned the TV off and she favored me with a chapter of "Franny K. Stein." It was absolutely precious. Worth ever minute.

I seriously love this little girl and I'm so thankful she's mine.

4 comments:

Lea said...

She is a sweet girl! We struggled with scripture reading for a while until we started using the Book of Mormon Reader (and the versions for the other scriptures as well). The kids love them. Not only do they have pictures to look at but they are actually understanding and retaining the stories of the scriptures. A perfect solution for our kids at this point in their lives.

Megan said...

Awww, you made me cry. Jordan is so sweet. Sorry you had such a rough day. Hope today is better and you are feeling better.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Thanks for sharing! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who gets frustrated when my kids don't listen :) Being Mom and being sick at the same time isn't fun. Hope you feel better soon!

Jill said...

That is super cute. What a sweet girl.