Saturday, February 5, 2011

a sad goodbye

We had a bit of a sad evening tonight.

We said goodbye to our beloved pet fish.

And boy did I underestimate how the children would take it. Darin put them on Craigslist and had a lot of responses. On guy wanted to come tonight, so Darin said ok. I wish it would have been later because the kids were still up. I tried to keep them upstairs, but that did not work at all. The guy was a really nice guy-said he has an even bigger tank than we do so it was a good choice.

Anyhow I was in the middle of dressing the boys from their bath. They were crying their eyes out because they knew what was going on. We kept telling them that the fishies were going to a great new home and would have more space and lots of new friends. When the guy left, all 3 kids were in tears-seriously in tears. They kept saying 'But they are our fish." "What if they get scarred?" " What if they don't like the new place?" " What if the new guy isn't nice?"

Then at bedtime, Spencer said to me "mommy, what if the fish don't like the food at the new house?"

Oh man, my heart just melted.

I didn't really think it would be a big deal. But then I do have to remember that they are always asking Darin to feed the fish. They were pretty proud of them since people always comment about the fish tank when they come in the house for the first time. The kids were really attached to them-and we've had the fish tank for probably about 4 years give or take, so it's been here for Landon's whole life and most of Spencer's.

And now as I sit here and type this, it is weird to look over at a dark fish tank with no fishies swimming around. A lot of times I just sit here at night and watch them-it's pretty calming. I have really enjoyed having the fish tank in our home.

It makes me realize that this is going forward-we are selling our house. For real. Oh man, the emotions are really going to come if I dwell on this....Darin and I have lived here since we got married and have brought all three of our kids home here....

uh oh,

this is going to be very hard....

I want a bigger house, but man, I think leaving here is going to be way harder than I think.....

better think of something else now...

ok, my primary lesson!

1 comment:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I know exactly how you feel! You'll get through it. When we moved it was like that same thing. The house Chris and I bought and brought the girls home to. The only home they had ever known. We spent so much money and time fixing it up etc..etc... But I am so much happier in our new home. We love it here!! It will take years to get it looking so cute as our other home, but I'm so excited for the journey. Just wait until the day you walk out for the very last time. It's hard, you will cry, but you will be so excited to move on!! :) And now my girls know that this is home. I'm not even sure Elle remembers our old house. Life is good :)