Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Playing catch up: Riding horses in Utah

While we were in Utah, yes-it has been a few weeks, but I really wanted to put this in my blog, we went to a cousin's house to ride horses. We called it a "pony party." Jordan went around for weeks before telling everyone she was going to ride horses and that she had a cousin who was a "real cowgirl." We felt a little like the city mice going to meet the country mice. When we got to the house, which has lots of fun stuff to do, Spencer said "I want to go see the farm animals." All they had was horses, but I guess because we were so far out in the country he felt we were on a farm.

The pictures aren't in the best order, but here goes.

After Jordan took her one turn, she wanted to lead her brother. We were in a bad spot because the sun was in the kids eyes when they were walking back toward the barn.
Spencer immediately fell in love. He couldn't get enough riding and actually surprised us with his lack of fear. He also rode the big horses and loved it. He kept saying "I want to go again." Jordan took one ride, then had enough and went to play with all the cousins.Landon was amazing....he absolutely loved the horses and had NO FEAR!! He was going right up to them and was laughing and had a great time.
When we put him on the little pony, which incidentally has been putting up with this madness so sweetly for 20 years, Landon laughed and had huge smiles. He had multiple rides.

Here's when Darin's cousin got the horse out and had all the kids brush her out. They really liked that part as well.
This is Casey, Darin's cousin's husband, whose parents home we were at. He was so nice and go all the horses ready and took kid for rides. Spencer absolutely loved it!!
They had a trampoline and my kids were so excited. They had never been on one before and loved it so much. Lanny, of course was laughing and having a great time. Jordan was on a minute, then had enough. There is sure a difference between her and the boys.
Darin and I even had a turn on the horses. I was very nervous at first, but did ok. I even got the horse galloping and surprised Darin because his horse followed mine and did whatever mine did. It was really fun. Makes me want to find horseback riding somewhere around here.
One more shot I love of Aiden bouncing my boys. I had to laugh because at one point Casey-see above-was playing with all the kids. Jordan wanted his attention and said "hey Farmer." He said "I'm a contractor not a farmer." Poor little city mouse has to learn the difference between a cowboy and a farmer!!
We had so much fun that day and left with 3 very tired, dirty kids and Spencer literally kicking and screaming. I had to carry him over my shoulder and he was holding his arms out crying "I want to go back, I want to go back."

Maybe next summer the city mice can return for more.


3 comments:

Ryann said...

That is cute. One of the houses that we loooked out was surrounded on two sides by horses. My kids were likewise fascinated.

And I feel like we are the city kids moved to the country. There are fields everywhere filled with sheep, cows, and horses. It is like a farm trip everyday.

Coleen said...

I didn't know Jordan called Casey a farmer! LOL - he's a good daddy and loves to play with kids and loves to introduce them to horses (and trusty HYRUM, the pony, is a GOOD one with kids!) Alyson's in-law's house is a great place for a get together -- so many things for kids to do to keep busy! We had a fun time with all of you, too!

Anonymous said...

I remember how hot it was. That was a very fun evening -- I don't blame Spencer for wanting to go back. :)