Friday, September 24, 2010

Reflections on life

Is it usual to be sitting in your car eating Mike-n-Ikes and have some great reflections on your life, after just having shopped at WalMart? Well, that is what happened to me the other day. It was a very interesting experience. I just had all these thoughts come to me. I wanted to type it up the other day, but I have seriously had a really busy week!

Anyhow, I was shopping for allergy medicine, trash bags, school lunch snacks, etc. I was thinking that this is my life....somewhat mundane at times, BUT it is exactly what I wanted. Oh man, hope I can get this down the way I want. Here are some simple thoughts I had:

I love being a mom. Some days are rough-not going to lie about that. For sure some days I think that life was so much easier when I was single.

I like doing the mundane things. My family needs me. It is all a part of life. We have trash, I have to get the trash bags-we have allergies, I need to get us some medicine.

I like being busy-when I have lots to do, I seem to do better-weird, I know. If I don't have lots ot do, I tend to waste time.

I was thinking all these sorts of things and it made me so grateful for what I have. I have a wonderful husband, 3 great kids, a nice home, good friends. a wonderful ward to attend. I think I needed to be reminded of these things. I've been a bit over dramatic about not having another baby. Darin has repeatedly told me that I keep obsessing about what I don't have instead of trying to make what I do have better.

I've been in denial about that-my obsessing I mean. I spent too much time a few weeks ago obsessing about another baby. How fair is that to the amazing children I do have? Man I love them and am sooo thankful I am entrusted with their care. I also spend so much time worrying and beating myself up about not being the "perfect" mom.

More thoughts....

I'm not perfect and it's ok. I have repeatedly lamented to Darin that I want to be "known for something." So and so does this....so and so does this....yada yada yada. That's just plain dumb. I know that in my brain and am working hard on getting my heart to know it as well. Teaching your primary class a lesson on talents opens your eyes to how Heavenly Father sees you-which is what is most important:)

When I think my prayers aren't being answered and that I'm not listened to , it's MY doing, not my Father in Heaven. It's my lack of faith and my pulling away from him.

Prayer does work, the answers may not come when I want or how I want, but the way that's the best.

Reflections on a busy life:

Since school has started, seems like I life has gotten crazy!!

The kids are doing very well and have gotten right back into a school schedule. Although we are NOT a morning type house. There is really only 1 person in this house who wakes up early and happy, and I don't have to get him ready for school!!! Man, it really is tough around here in the mornings.

We're working on it.

Homework.....ugh.

We're carpooling with a neighbor, so that is fun. I'm watching Patrick and his sister Regan again. So some days at school I pick up 5 kids. I get some looks, but some laughs, and smiles, too:)

I started teaching tot classes at the rec center. This session I am teaching 3 classes of tumbling and gymnastics in a row. Whew-Landon and I were both tired by the end. Doesn't help to have allergies so I sound like I have a frog in my throat. That's getting better. But overall I really loved it-the kids were SO CUTE!! One class is all boys and man are they busy!!

Did you know that 8 18 month olds have a VERY tiny attention span? If I didn't know that before, I do now!!

I started Jordan's brownie troop this week. I was a bit worried leading up to it, but the meeting worked out well and I think we'll have a really great group. i already have some moms volunteering for some stuff-just have to have a cookie mom soon!!

Kids had check ups this week. Pretty healthy kiddos. I was surprised to see that Spencer was in the 80% for weight and 90% for height. Seems so skinny to me-guess that's 'cause he's so tall. Jordan's in the 75% for both.

I have healthy kids, but struggle with dental care. Spencer had some cavities...I wanted to cry. I do brush his teeth, guess not enough. Is it and excuse to say that everyone in my family has bad teeth? There has to be some heredity involved there. And why do my boys have some weird thing where they have extra big molars-they have like one more side to them-weird.

Spencer is 5 and is getting 6 year molars. Explains whey he chews on everything.


I think I'm now wanting to make the longest post in my blog history.

Let's see, what else.....

Oh, I spent some time at the kids school yesterday. LOVE IT!! Had lunch with Spencer then did some work for his teacher. Had lunch with Jordan then helped her teacher.

Seriously LOVE IT!! Kids are so happy when they see me, and the teachers were thrilled to get some help.

Ok, I really must got to bed.

The bottom line-I love it-driving kids around, doing mundane errands, laundry, cooking, arranging playdates, setting up Brownies, laughing with the kiddos....

hearing Landon say "I wasn't crying" when I pick him up from school.

Cuddling with Lanny in the afternoon. Today my visiting teachers were here and he got on the couch next to me and just dozed off to sleep. Poor kid has had a busy week-he was just worn out. I'm so lucky I had 3 very cuddly babies and I still get hugs and lots of affection from them. I'll take it while I can 'cause someday it may go away!

watching Jordan finally love reading,

Hearing Spencer tell about taking a girl who fell down at recess to the clinic

Both Jordan and Spencer telling me they are on "orange" at school-the highest and most super duper level of behavior on the schools behavior system.

Seeing all 3 of my kids so happy to see babies. They LOVE seeing baby Gabrielle and also Alaina-the little sisters of Jordan's best friend Liz. I have felt that it was a good sign for me to have a baby, but there are always babies to love even if they aren't ours. The boys were so cute with Gabby the other day-just so sweet!!

I also love:

Darin texting me to wish me luck on my first day of classes

Darin calling me in the middle of the day to see how I am doing

Darin playing with the kids and making them laugh

Darin gobbling up a yummy dinner I made, thanking me for it and doing the dishes.


So there you have it-the good life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wendi -- your post means a lot to us. No one promised that raising a family would be easy but it is definitely worth it. Reading how you love your children -- our grandchildren-- and how Darin -- our son -- helps you in his own way reflects much you both will sacrifice in the best interest for Jordan, Spencer and Landon. You only have them for a short time (looking back after they have left home) so you have to make the most of it. Your mother would be proud of you.

Love, Mom & Dad

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I loved this post. It's real, and it's ok to admit that you're not perfect, but that you love your family, and how your life is going as a whole. You're great!!!!!

Leslie Green said...

So glad to hear from you, and that things are good! Miss you!