Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Carthage Jail

Here are the pictures that go with the previous post. I really loved going to Carthage. It was so interesting to hear more details about the last days of the prophet. To walk up the steps he did to the room where he met his death. Wow.

Oh I could just go on forever, but I'll just get on with the picture. The kids all loved this statue and Jordan would hold her dress up like this all day in every picture we took of her-or at least most of them.


The Smith Brothers. Such an amazing brotherly love between the two of them.
The kids loved this statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith that was outside Carthage Jail.
Landon wants the scriptures:)


Having posted these pics, I wonder if letting my kids walk on, in, and around this statue was irreverent? Hmmm.....


There were many plaques around the grounds with quotes from Josepth Smith. This is a good one!!

The kitchen of the jail. The jailer and his wife raised their 7 kids while being in charge of the jail. Nice place to grow up, huh?




Steps leading up to the top floor of the jail.





Here is the window the prophet fell out of after he was shot. Look at how wide the window sill is-this is the thickness of the walls!




When the prophet was killed, he and the other me were not in the "cell". The were taken to a room belonging to the jailer to stay "safe" until they were released. It was more like a bedroom than a cell. Here is the door to the room showing a gunshot through the door.





Here's the view outside the jail. The top window is where the prophet Joseph Smith fell to the ground.
Here's another one of the plaques with another quote I really liked! I just love the imagery.

This is such a beautiful sculpture. I loved the hand holding the scriptures.

No comments: