Sunday, June 20, 2010

I walked where He walked

Joseph Smith, that is.

This morning out family visited the Carthage Jail. Despite the inattention of my kiddos, I was so touched while we were in the jail. We watched a video about the life of the prophet, then toured the jail. I learned so much about the jail itself and the circumstances surrounding the death of the Prophet Joseph. I could say so much about it, and I did take lots of pictures I'll post later, but I was just in awe to be standing in a room where the course of history changed. A room in which a prophet of God was killed, in which a group of men gunned down a man who communicated with our Father in Heaven-a man who restored the true gospel to the earth.

I walked where the first Prophet of our church walked. I walked where the Prophet bore his testimony and sang out in prayer to our Father in Heaven. Where he drew and his brother Hyrum took their last breath on this earth. Wow.

Later in the day today we drove around Nauvoo. We found the Smith Family Historical Site. I was saddened by the fact that the Community of Christ-Reorganized Church- is in possession of such a valuable piece of our history, but at least we could see it. We stopped at the Smith family cemetary and saw the graves of the prophet, his beloved wife Emma and his brother Hyrum. There were also the graves of his parents and some other family members.

I wandered around taking pictures while Darin had the kids in the van. I came across the Homestead-the first house Joseph built for he and Emma. The door was open and I saw some other people walk in, so I went in.

Again, I walked where the prophet walked.

It was amazing to realized that this was the prophet's home. His home. The home he built for his family.Wow. I know I'm probably sounding crazy, but I am just so thankful to the prophet Joseph. I have the life I do today because he lived the life he did. It was a privilege for me to see his home, to be in a place where he once lived.

One of the boys in the house also looking around said "wow, the prophet actually once walked where we are." I felt in awe. At that moment I wished I would have known him-I imagined the prayers that were uttered, the laughs and joy had by the Smith home, the people who visited the prophet, the sadness when the prophet was taken to jail. I wanted to be transported to the time when the saints were happily building up the Lord's kingdom in Nauvoo.

We also stopped at the Nauvoo temple. It is amazing-so very beautiful. And is really does sit up on a hill overlooking the river. At the visitors center there was one of the original sun stones. That was pretty cool.

Tomorrow we are going back to see some more of the homes and sights. I am so excited to see more. It makes me want to study church history! It also makes me so excited for our trip to Palmyra this summer!!

1 comment:

Daniel Stone said...

I didn't realize you were making a trip to our neck of the woods! We are about 3 hours east of Nauvoo. It's a wonderful place, isn't it? And you're right... the temple is sooo beautiful! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!