Thursday, March 18, 2010

Don't you think it is more important to help friends?

So Jordan, my little sweet child, loves to draw pictures and color things for people. I do think her heart was in the right place as she did finally make a card for her friend. But she did not want to do her homework before she made the card. And incidentally, she know exactly which coloring book had an actual "get well soon" page to color in it. She really is so sweet in all the things she colors for people.

Here's our conversation: (in a nutshell)

Me: Jordan, it is time to finish up your homework.
Jordan: (very emphatically-borderline yelling) Mommy, don't you think it is more important to help your friends....more important than doing something for yourself????
Me: What are you taking about?
Jordan: Mommy, Rhiannon is hurt and I need to help her. It is more important that doing my homework.

It is at this point when she is getting out crayons and paper and begging for me to locate a certain coloring book that I realize that she wants to color some pictures for Rhiannon, a friend of hers who has a broken arm.

Me: It is nice to help your friends, but you have to do your homework first.
Jordan: But mommy, I need to help Rhiannon first, then I'll do my homework.
Me: No Jordan, do your homework first.

We go back and forth.... and at the same time

Landon is spilling one of those yogurt shakes all over the floor, Patrick is running around yelling, and Spencer is whining about being hungry.

And since it is historically very trying to get Jordan to sit and concentrate on her homework I lose patience and work up to a boiling point ending up yelling:

Where is your dad? Go get your dad!!!

So Darin comes down helps her with her homework. Then she happily made her card colored on with some cool medical paper from Auntie Marion-the kind that prints out of like heart monitors that is all connected. She loved that.

So this morning she frantically finished up cutting out her cars. I do love that she loves giving people her work. She does every week at church-colors stuff in Sacrament then gives it all away. Who know, maybe someday she will be a famous artist!!

No comments: