Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How do I get my smile back?

This is a quote from Spencer in the throws of a tantrum before school.

See it all started when we got home from picking Landon up from a friend's house. Spencer was sitting behind me, but he is usually willing to go to the other side the car and get out the door by Landon's seat, the electric door. The door I much prefer using because it requires the least amount of work on my part. So I unhooked Landon and started into the house. Spencer was freaking out because he wanted me to go around and open his door so he could get out. (the kids can't open and close the one slider door by themselves....our next van will have 2 electric doors:) I now realize that had I just opened his door as I walked around, I could have avoided the whole mess, but you know about hind-sight.........

So I continued in the house, carrying Landon because he hates to keep shoes on. Spencer is having a major fit. I refuse to go back out and open the door for him-I had already decided when he yelled at me in the car that I was going to win. In the meantime, Lanny has a mini fit about ringing the doorbell. Spencer finally comes in crying and yelling at me "you're the worst mother in the world' etc. I take away a very precious Dinosaur book and explain that if he is mean and yells at me, he loses something he really likes. He continues to whine and cry, and runs up to his room.

I sit down with Landon and do some computer games. I tell Spencer that we are playing on the computer, but he realized that the TV had been left on in my bedroom and goes in there to watch. Yes, I know I should not have let him, but I'm half falling asleep while Landon is watching the computer. Spencer comes down and is now crying because he wanted to do the computer-he wants to start over what Lanny was watching. He is also yawning, and history tells me that when he is tired, he is very grumpy.

So the fits continue, and I realize he is still mad about the whole car door thing-this is and hour later!!! We talk a while, I try to do funny things to pep him up and try to get ready to take him to school. I pretend I am going to call his teacher. All of a sudden, he is half crying and says to me "How am I going to get my smile back?" I chuckle inside a bit and ask him what he means. He tells me "you know, the smile I always have on my face when I walk into my classroom"

Oh my goodness, soooo cute. He was sooo worried about crying at school. I tickle him for a while, he says he is sorry for yelling at me and gets his book back. He wants to tickle more on the couch, but I try to move to the door, tickling him the whole way. We finally make it out the door and get to school. When we are waking in, I ask him if he found his smile, so he smiles at me. I tell him that it must have been in the car....that is of course where the whole mess started:) He gets to his class a couple minutes late, but quickly gets right into his daily routine-with a smile on his face:)

No comments: