Monday, April 26, 2010

Great Falls

A couple weekends ago, I asked Darin if we cold go to Bull Run Park in Manassas to look for fields of blue bells. He wasn't so keen on that idea, so came up with one of his own......Great Falls Park. I have often thought about going there, so was excited about it. The weather was nice, and we were pleasantly surprised that the entrance fee was waived for a week...extra bonus for us!

There were 3 different trails leading to different views of the falls. We did 2 of them which were stroller friendly, then Jordan, Spence and I went down the not so stroller friendly one. I was happy we didn't have Lanny because the rocks were big and and he would have been a "disaster" as Darin puts it. Jordan and Spence loved it, but I was a nervous wreck. Probably because they had sandals on...yeah, not so smart. If we ever go back, I know-tennis shoes!!

The views were beautiful. It is an amazing sight and the kids loved it.
We had fun in the visitors center. The boys especially loved playing in this kayak.
There was a kids area where you could color and play with lots of "touch" things. Spencer loved these antlers.
Jordan totally posed herself for this shot. Hmmm, should this worry me?
I love this girl!
This was interesting-it marked all the years the river flooded. My year is on there-'72.
a fun effect called cinemascope
this was really such a beautiful place. We really enjoyed it. Spencer especially loved hiking in the woods and climbing on all the rocks. We didn't really go so far because we didn't wear the best shoes, so I really want to take the boys back.
pencil sketch
The kids loved playing in the woods.

more of the falls.
Spencer had a blast with this branch. He was determined that he could bring it home...if only he could move it first:) Boys and sticks...
I love this effect. Pretty cool, I think.
A nice view of the falls.
I forget the name of this effect, but I really love how the pic comes out.
I think this guy was training, or something. He was paddling into the current-trying to go upstream. I couldn't imagine trying to do that. You would have to be very strong and an extremely good swimmer! There was a sign in the visitor center that said only the olympic kayak team does the falls. Seems pretty scary to me.
I have a thing for trees. I love to take pictures of trees I think are cool.
A view of the river down from the falls.
We really loved Great Falls. If you live in Virginia, you really must go there!!

1 comment:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I LOVE a good family outing. And awesome pics too! I can't wait for full fledged summer!!!