Friday, September 9, 2011

Fort Washington



On Labor Day we decided to head to Fort Washington in Maryland. I have been wanting to take the boys there since my friend took her boys there and they enjoyed it. It wasn't a long drive, either. Just over the bridge. We used to see it all the time across the river from the GW parkway when we would drive to church in Mt. Vernon. Also figured a little history would be good on Labor Day. 

When we got there we went to the marina area first. It was a big hit. I didn't realize there was a little lighthouse down there. It was a nice little area. I also didn't notice that it was right at the river. The kids really loved that part as well. I was a bit nervous about the guys fishing and my loud kiddos....ah well!

 We had lots of fun throwing things in the water.....until we realized that it probably wasn't 
conducive to the men fishing actually catching something....
 There's something about throwing sticks and rocks into the water.......
 We were going to go back to the car and drive up to the actual fort, but Landon had a different idea. He wanted to walk up the hill to the Fort. So I gave in-either that or chase him and carry him to the car. It really wasn't that bad....but boy am I out of shape. And is was so humid that day.


Here's a view of the fort from the bottom. Looks like remains from an older fort or something.
 A view from further up the top.
 Some of the views inside the fort. I loved the wheel for the huge doors, and I loved that they were green.
 The boys had a blast on the canons.
 Awwww....brotherly love!



No comments: