Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kindergarten

Back in March, I went to a meeting about the Spanish Immersion Program at Rose Hill Elementary. It is a very popular program and they had a video of college students who were the first to go through. A couple of them had come back to substitute for the current teachers. We decided to go ahead and put her in the lottery for the program. Anyone in the county can enter the lottery for the multiple immersion schools.

Anyhow, we are not in the attendance area for the school, and they only take 50 kids, so we were not too optimistic. A family in our ward was very far down the wait list last year.. We wondered how many spots were saved for siblings of current students, etc. I have not had my hopes up and was actually getting excited to have Jordan ride the bus to school this fall. We went to the open house of the school Jordan would attend.... BUT......

I checked the mail Friday and much to my surprise, we received a letter telling us that Jordan has been ACCEPTED to Program! We were so excited and a little shocked, really. I was a little sad about the bus, but Darin who does not cart kids around all day, said I have been doing it for 2 year so it isn't any different. If Spencer gets chosen to be a model in the preschool like Jordan has been doing for the last 2 years, I will make 3 trips to that school each day.....yikes!!!

But we are very excited. The program sounds really good. Half the students are native english and half the students are native spanish speakers; so they do half the day in english and the other half in Spanish. Once she is in first grade, all the way to 6th grade, they do math and science in spanish and the rest in English.

The boys will automatically be in the program as well since siblins are accepted, so now I know what my life will be like as long as we live here!! I will have a house of Spanish speakers. Maybe I will learn with them. I told Darin he was going to have to help with homework. It will probabaly be good learning for him as well even though his is fluent from his mission.

Adios!!!

3 comments:

Michelle Earnest said...

That is so awesome, what an awesome way to learn. I wish that I would have done a program like that!

Lynette said...

Wow...it sounds kinda crazy...but, I definitely like the idea of them knowing two languages...that will be soo helpful for them. Way to go!!

Chanda said...

That is great! What an awesome opportunity. I'm sorry you'll be driving around like a crazy woman though. That is crappy. :(