Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Something got on me"

I was happily eating breakfast with Spencer and Landon this morning, when I was heard Jordan walking down the steps. These were the first words out of her mouth:

"Something got on me."

I then saw the beautiful artwork Jordan did after we put her to bed last night. This was our big mistake:we close the door and let her play until she goes to sleep. I am baffled as to when she actually got the marker. I thought it was hidden from her. Anyway, we were watching Wipe Out (which is hysterical) on the main level for an hour, then were on the lowest level setting our new Wii up. We hadn't heard anything, so we assumed she was asleep. We checked on her before we went to bed at 10:00 and the little stinker had locked her door. I haven't found anything small enough to fit in the lock on her door....

So anyhow when I saw her this morning I remained calm-which is an accomplishment for me, and asked her for the marker. I instantly knew which marker she used because it was wide writing. She took me to her room and I saw the rest of her late night escapades.

Here is one wall, which you can see has been a victim multiple times now.

My sweet little artist!
Pay special attention to the detail on the knees.
A wide view of her canvas.

When I showed my friend Jill these pictures, this is the one which made her say "sweet." My neighbor came over and I showed her. Her comment was "they are all smiling." Again, notice the knees!! Jordan's instrument of choice.

Our bedtime theory has been that as long as she stays in her room and doesn't bother us, we are ok. Guess that has been proven an incorrect theory! I am also blank as to what sort of discipline to use here. I will take everything out of her room, except the huge book shelf full of books, and see what happens. Is it mean to take away the doll she sleeps with everynight? Poor thing also got some risidual marker on her from Jordan cuddling her.

I told my neighbor Kelly that I was going to take her doorknob off and turn it around. She asked me if Jordan could figure out to lock it on the outside then close it. Didn't think of that. I guess the doorknob needs to come off...Or maybe I could just check on her more. Novel idea. Do they make sleeping pills for 5 year olds?

We were going to wait until next year to do a big room switch-put the boys in her room, Jordan in the little room and paint it then, but I feel a little um, um, is there a nicer way to say "white trash" with the coloring all over the walls. May have to paint......

9 comments:

kristi said...

i'm sorry...that's hilarious. it's one of those things that hopefully her children will do to her someday. good thing you got pictures. we love the show wipeout. the comentary is the best part!

Dan and Sharon said...

Wendi- Magic easer has worked for me in the past with permanent maker. Also you can take the knob off and put on that doesn't have a lock on. Oh I would make Jordan scrub the wall. 30 mins here and there for the next few days. Jordan is old enough to know that is wrong. Don't switch the rooms for a few weeks. Also take her to see graffiti somewhere, tell her what happens when you do this in public ( jail, community service) The have her do community service. It is cute, Taryn has her best art on the plastic desk I got her. What is with kids they can be silly. Good luck.

flem-fam said...

I hate to laugh, but that is dang funny! I hope you'll be laughing about it soon too!

Lea said...

I love the attention to the knees. I didn't realize that when we talked about this earlier.

Ferndale said...

Oh, Wendi! I'm so impressed that you kept your cool. I would have flipped my lid. I liked Dan's suggestions--maybe he should have his own parenting show. Good luck cleaning it up!

Jill said...

I still think the family picture is sweet, but I hope she doesn't do this after you paint the room. Very funny.

Leslie Green said...

Um, do I really want to have kids?????????

From your favorite most recent newlywed....

Andrea said...

oh my gosh. we should start a mommy blog where anyone can post their child horror stories and then we can feel better whenever our own children do something horribly destructive. you were amazing at handling her pool punishment the other day!

Fowler family said...

oh my goodness. This is so funny. Oh, i bet it wasn't fun to find though. You have to admit though- the pictures of the family ARE so cute. I would keep it like that for awhile if you can stand the scribblings. very memorable