Thursday, July 31, 2008

Desperate cry for help!!

Help me please!!!!
If anyone has the trick for getting an almost 3 year old boy potty trained, I will pay top dollar!!! If I have to clean up poo from a little bum and pair of underwear one more time, I don't know if I will have a child left to potty train!!!
Last night I was going to the bathroom myself, then Darin yelled for my help. Spencer had no underwear on-he had previously wet them, then came walking into the living room to hand Darin a big poo he had done....gross....what the heck do I do?
I am such a basket case about this. I get so angry and Spencer sees it, so I know that doesn't help. I have this false thinking that how well my child is potty trained is a result of how good of a mother I am. I am failing miserably with potty training, so therefore I currently feel extremely low on the mothering scale.
So why on earth do I take this so personal? I hear of all these other children who are younger than Spence and already potty trained. 2 year olds who are just barely talking are potty trained...where do I go wrong? Why is my child so resistant to peeing and pooping on the toilet? Can he not feel it, does he not care? ARG ARG ARG!!!
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

4 comments:

tecwhitram said...

Oh I feel your pain! Hang in there! It will happen. Mid-potty training I told my husband that I would not have any more children b/c I couldn't imagine potty training any more. It was the lowest point in my mothering to date. Tricks? I tried everything--several types of potties, books, treats, toys, videos, pretty much anything and everything. Keep with a routine of when you put him on the toilet and don't ask him, tell him he is sitting on the toilet (sometimes this meets resistance--this is where the incentive comes in). Like when he gets up in the morning, "Good morning Spencer, did you have a good night sleep? Okay, time to go to the bathroom" Anyway, after we got in the routine, it just clicked at some point but it wasn't without a whole lot of messy big boy underwear along the way. Hang in there!!!

Lynette said...

Unfortunately I don't have any wonderful advise either. But I do completely agree that potty training SUCKS!!! I think I was the worse mother EVER during that time also! As far as Carson goes, he had been peeing fine for quite a while, but would cry and scream at the thought of going poopy on the potty...until his 3rd birthday. Literally on his 3rd birthday (during his party) he said he wanted to go poopy on the potty and has done it ever since. So, for him I guess it was totally a mental thing...maybe b/c I said that he would be a "big boy" when he turned 3 and big boys go poopy on the potty. Sorry though, I have no good advise...good luck!!

Morgan said...

I'm sorry Wendi. Very frustrating. Just remember you can't compare Spencer to any other child--he's got his own timetable. Maeve still has peepee accidents and she's 4.5! -Chanda

kristi said...

i don't know if you want to hear from me. it' is very frustrating especially as women compare themselves. i remember 2 months ago seeing on a blog a little girl younger than Siena and she was potty trained and thinking o my gosh, Siena should be potty trained! it's a big competition game and i don't know how that happens. hopefully with spencer it was just a bad week and it is over now and he will go potty. we are still having bad days and we have had bad weeks before. good luck. sorry no real advice, just hopefully it will click soon for him. good luck. i don't think it's easy for anyone to potty train there kid (just some people make it seem easy for them and they are big liars!)