Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It IS worth it

I have had days lately where I ask myself "Is this really worth it." I feel awful that I have even have to admit that, but it's the truth. The time that I really feel this way the most is Sunday morning when we walk into the chapel. Leaving our house is such a struggle, that I am already ready to go back to bed when we are all buckled in the car. So, my children run into the chapel and I gear myself up for an hour or more of struggle.

Well, there is light at the end of the tunnel!! This last Sunday, I had some inspiration on this matter. We had a great talk in our ward, and I felt like it was for me. It was a sister who has older childre-5 of em. She didnt' have notes or anything, just shared her life experience. This talk came when I was on the verge of tears struggling with Landon and Spencer....Her topic was sacrament attendance and she shared her experience of going to church with 4 small children when her husband was in the bishopric, plus he was military and would be gone for months at a time. At one point, she said she had had enough and wasn't going back until they were little-the struggle each Sunday wasn't worth it. She prayed and then felt like she had to go. She was told it would be worth it and she would know why at one point. She was later in a ward and taught CTR 8's. Her daughter was about to be baptised and there was another girl in the class who didn't come often. The mother wanted her baptised, but didn't know enough, so asked this sister to teach the daugher the gospel. She said she know at the time that it was her prayer being answered.

Well, I was bawling of course, and felt the spirit really strong. Later that morning, we did the primary program for the singles ward. I was sitting there on the stand surrounded by these sweet little children and felt completlely overcome by the spirit-a more accurate term would be envloped by the spirtit. I could hardly talk, let alone sing with the children. I felt the spirit tell me that Heavenly Father know me and my struggles. It made me feel so much better. Prayers are answered. I know that I will still have hard times as my children grow, but they need to be in church and learn about the gospel so they have roots firmly planted. They are Heavenly Father's special little spirits and I have been entrusted with them...Heavenly Father trusts me with them and I need to be in partnership with him as I teach them and raise them.

I also have felt like I need to have more fun with my children and not be so worried about the house, etc. Here is and example of what we did when we got home from school on the warm day last week.




































7 comments:

Dan and Sharon said...

good for you Wendi.

Go have fun with your kids. I sometime forget to.

Anonymous said...

Sacrament Meeting was definitely a challenge with our way too loud and way too restless kids. It was nice that the bishop gave a kind message of encouragement at the end of Sacrament Meeting to all the parents who are dealing with loud and restless kids. I'm sure his words were very comforting; ironically, our kids were too loud and restless for me to hear what he said.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Amen Wendi! I'm with you. Except does this count for everyday stuff too :) Sometimes I just feel like being a mom is way too hard. But I've got to find a way to stick with it. I'm always frazzled by the time we get to church. I think it's just hard to get up, get yourself and the kids ready and off in a timely fashion. Everyone goes through it. And I think everyone feels like their kids are the loudest in church too :)

Ryann said...

I'm glad that you had a good meeting. We are finally (most days) at the stage where the kids pretty much manage themselves. Yes, even Tim-we just happened to discover the right toys to keep him happy. And it is heavenly! Hang on there-maybe just one more year!

Chanda said...

You're a fantastic Mom Wendi. I've always thought so. I'm glad you were comforted and inspired. Thank you for being such a great "mom" to Maeve all those times I left her with you.

kristi said...

my mother in law always tells me when I am in the hall during church with the kids, you are there to set the habit of going to church and set a good example. It is so hard.

Lynette said...

I TOTALLY understand!!! Sunday mornings are the WORST time for us too...I tell ya, sometimes it is such a struggle to want to go to church (and i usually do love church). Struggling with children can be such a pain and soo difficult. Thanks for sharing that story about the ladie's talk, that will help me to. I know it will be good in the long run to make sure we always attend church, but it's always good to be reminded exactly why. Good luck!!