Monday, May 3, 2010

Sunday afternoon at the Arboretum

On Sunday I decided to finally try going to the National Arboretum. Darin is out of town, so I didn't want to stay home all afternoon. And I didn't think his feelings would get hurt if he missed this outing;although I do think he needs to go back with us sometime.

Anyhow, I wasn't sure if I was on the right track-the area I drove through to the there wasn't the nicest, but we did find it. And it is huge. I couldn't really tell by the map online that you would really need to drive around to see the various collections. We parked by the visitors center and just hung around there and the columns. I did drive by the azaleas, but they were pretty much done for. I'll have to see them next year for sure.

There was a pond all around the visitors center and the kids didn't really want to leave it.

"daddy duck" as the kids say. Why are the males always so beautiful and the females are boring brown?
We found a pond with huge koi that you could feed. Of course Spencer was thrilled since the majority of them were bright orange. He even picked one that was "his" He would watch for it and get excited each it would surface. They had a little machine where you could get fish pellets for a quarter, so the kids loved feeding them. When we got there, Landon was asleep in the stroller, then we decided to get him out to see the fish and my stress level doubled. I thought for sure he would fall in, but luckily he didn't (just wait, he does get wet later)
We spotted this little duck family and were smitten. The were so cute. We watched forever!!
11 little ducks went out to play.....
These babies were soooo cute. We watched them for what seemed like forever! The kids did not want to leave the pond.
I was so excited to go to the columns and let the kids run around. Little did I know what would follow!! No one told me that there was a fountain up there.....

This is out of order, but I didn't want to leave it out. Look at the smile on that kid's face....trouble, nothing but trouble!!
Some of the columns. I don't reall like how this pic turned out, but you can see who big they are.
So the water thing started out pretty innocent. A bunch of other kids were walking down the water fall thing so the kids asked to take their shoes off and walk down as well. I figured it would be ok-I hadn't walked to the top, so I didn't realize there was a more deep actual fountain at the top. I was trying to take pictures and keep my camera from getting wet and not step into the mud. They were having such a fun time-laughing and giggling. It just progressed little by little until the kids ended up in the fountain.
Uh Oh......I tried getting them out and ended up twisting my ankle chasing Landon. The stones are really uneven...ah well. I figured better to take pictures than keep fighting them. I just got laughed by the people near me anyhow, so I gave up.
If there is water around, Landon will be wet. He LOVES water and cannot resist it. Here he is soaking wet!
Jordan and Spence goofing around by the columns. This is probably when Landon decided to take a dip in the fountain...well, maybe he already had, seeing how wet Spence is in the pic.
Three very wet, but happy children!
We did have such a great time! I was a little embarassed when the people all around were laughing at us and the kids were obviously ignoring me when I would tell them to get out. It was like I had a little devil on one shoulder telling me it was great that they were having fun and to leave them alone, but then and another little angel telling me that I need to make them act more refined and get out of the water. The devil won. The thing is that if there would have been no else one around, I would have been in there with them!!! Well, and I didn't want to get my camera wet.

So when we got to the car I stripped them all down. Luckily I had a towel under Landon's car seat and Jordan had some bandanas from her browni

I didn't know that the arboretum was so HUGE!!! You really have to drive around to see a lot of the collections...