Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Whole Foods Market

We have been doing a Mother Goose Time preschool with a couple other moms the last couple months. The theme for may is "Food, Fitness and Fun." We decided to take a field trip to Whole Foods Market to teach the kids about fruits and veggies. One of the moms arranged a trip for us. There was a nice produce guy there to help us-Mr. Steve. He was really nice and let the kids hold all the food, which they loved. We saw lots of thing and learned about how they grew and where they grew.

At one point, the kids were all grabbing apples and bananas to eat. Mr. Steve had stickers for us to all have on complimentary piece. That was nice. My apple was pretty good!

Here are Spencer and Landon learning some new things. I forget the name of the leafy veggie with the pink in it-I just thought it was cool looking and had to take a pic. Landon liked the mushrooms. There were tons of mushrooms. I said that to Mr. Steve and he told me places like Japan would have an entire aisle of them. Holy cow.
Ok, I was in love with this produce section. It was simply beautiful. I loved all the bright colors and how all the fruits and veggies were displayed. So pretty. Our fun produce guy told us he sees babies looking around at all the colors. I could have just taken pictures of food all days. I did get a couple funny looks when I took a few shots. We did get a few funny looks as we took the kids around.

Just look at the colors and the display.
More beautiful colors. I loved the contrast. They were so pretty, makes me want to be a vegetarian. Well, not really but I would like to learn how to cook with more of these veggies.

(On a side not, somewhat related I was told something funny about it at the gym yesterday. I saw a friend working out and told her about our trip. I said I would like to learn to cook more veggies and she said "It's like beer...you don't like it on your first try, takes a few times to get a taste for it. The same thing for vegetables. You just have to keep trying them" Funny-my first thought was "if you don't like beer the first time, why do you try again?" Don't really think you can compare attaining a taste for beer to attaining a taste for fruits and vegetables.

Anyhow, here are some more pretty colors. We had a fun time having the kids tell us all the colors and letting them hold the food. Spencer of course liked the orange peppers.

There was also a big egg section. They had eggs just laying loose-bad news if my boys got too close. There were a couple I liked:
Green eggs? These are Emu eggs. I really want to see what they look like inside. I was amazed. They are really heavy and very hard. I didn't hold it long, though-these little suckers are pretty pricey-$29.99!! I wondered why these ones were smaller than the Ostrich, but were the same price. Not sure how you prepare an Emu egg, but they are sure pretty.
Here is an ostrich egg-a whopping $29.99!!! Mr. Steve the produce man told me they sell 2-3 a week and that people like to use them in baking. Holy cow-how much baking must one do to use one of these eggs? I actually picked on up and it had a chip in it-they are heavy and the shell is really thick.

This was truly the most beautiful produce dept. I have ever seen in a grocery store. Pretty impressive, really. Too bad the prices are through the roof. The kids also liked seeing the seafood section. There were some whole little octopus so they like that, as well as some really huge fish. Was worth the trip just to entertain the kids. But I wondered what people thought of a group of moms with a bunch of kids just showing them fruits and vegetables. But they learned-yesterday we were talking about something and carrots came up. Landon says "carrots grow in the ground." Thanks Mr. Steve the produce guy:)

We walked around the rest of the store a bit-mostly for my curiosity, and it is clear that I will not be doing my weekly shopping there any time soon!! I looked at a pack of chicken breast and was shocked-$28.00!!! Holy Cow. People were just loading up their carts-must be made of money because that store is soooo expensive.

I'll stick to Shoppers, thanks:)

1 comment:

Leslie Green said...

See, now your kids won't be like those ignorant kids on that Food Revolution show who couldn't name a potato when shown one. Good for you! What a great idea to actually get the produce guy involved, too!!