Sunday, May 30, 2010

Trip to Boston-Sunday and Monday

So I thought I could do one post on my trip to Boston, but judging on the length of this one which so far only covers two days, I guess I'll have to do 2 posts. So it will be backwards since that is how this lovely blogger works.

On Sunday we stayed home and had friends over for a yummy dinner. It was beautiful so we just hung out and ate on the deck, talked forever and enjoyed each other's company.

After dinner we went back to the South Shore area again since Auntie's didn't get to go on Saturday when I took my friends.We went to one of my very favorite places on earth. I really mean on earth. And I had some of my favorite people with me-Karin and Marion as well as Grammy and Papa O. Always fitting since they are the ones who first took me there when I was a young nanny. I fell in in love with it instantly and do not take a trip to Boston without going there. It is called Hull Point. It is a little peninsula of land that comes out into the bay and you can see Boston in the background. The town is called Hull. You can see sailboats and even huge ships come in. We would walk along the beach and find a cool rock and take a fine point sharpie and put a date on it and sign them. I still have a couple of these rocks. This time we walked around to a different area than when we have been before.

Here are a few shots from a rickety old dock we found and some other sights.On Monday morning, I took Karin to work so I could use her car. She works right down the highway from the Boston Temple. It was pretty early, so I went to see the temple before I met Mags and her sisters. It is such a beautiful temple. I remember when I got off my mission in 1996 they had decided it would be built there so our ward took a hike up the hill to where the temple would sit. Now the stake I used to live in is getting ready to have the ten year anniversary. Time sure flies!!!




I took my friends to a couple of my favorite little seaport towns on Monday before I left. First we went to Rockport. Here is a famous building and a little inlet that is so pretty.
I loved this red boat. I wanted to do my frames I like to do on pictures, but have been so busy to do editing on picnik, so no frames, but still love this pictures. I loved these boats and was wishing I could have gone out on one. I could totally live in a town on the coast!!
This building is one of the most photographed, if not the most photographed buildings in the country, I am told. I love it. I have been before, but you can still take lots of pics of it. Very cool. And there's a cool pirate ship next to it as well:)
I put this one in because I loved the lines and the simplicity.
I loved the colors of the dingies tied up.
After we left Rockport, we went to another famous sea village called Gloucester. It has a history of fishermen for generations and I believe the movie The Perfect Storm was based on Fisherman from Gloucester. It has a harbor area with all the fisherman and boats and then a pretty beach areas. There is a famous Statue and Memorial to Fisherman.

Here are Maggie, Nate and sleepy baby Maya at the Fisherman's Memorial in Gloucester.
We had such a great time at Rockport and Gloucester. We stood at the Fisherman's Memorial forever reading the names of all the men who were lost at sea. It was awesome reading the older names. A few that stuck out to me were Angus and Axel, Ichabod, um well I'm forgetting them now, but I wish I could have a list. It would be fun for some of the names to come back into style again. If I were ever to have a boy, I would love to use one of the older more unique names. I told Darin if we had twin boys, they would be Angus and Axel:) Not that this would EVER happen:):)

Ahhh, so such a great trip!! And I was going the whole time-well except for the wonderful relaxing Sunday. By the time I got home to my Aunties house Monday night, we only had a few minutes until I had to go to the airport. My travels were very smooth and I got home in good time. I love Boston and was so happy to be able to go. Thanks Darin so much!! Already looking forward to our trip in August!!

1 comment:

Lonni said...

Wendi your photos are incredible! I loved seeing how your trip went an all the beautiful things you saw... loved seeing Snow White at the beach! Jordan is so sweet.