Friday, August 13, 2010

Hill Cumorah Pagent

We had an awesome time at the Hill Cumorah Pageant. I was so excited for the kids to see it. I remember just loving it so much the couple times I went. We got there in the late afternoon and found some good seats. I was amazed at how much the seats had been staked out already-people do all kinds of crazy things to save seats; for instance roping them off, tying garbage bags over them, taping paper, etc. I would have done something like that early in the morning if I had known.

Anyhow we found the closest available seats and set up camp. We had plenty of time, so I took the kids to the top of the hill to see the monument. I pushed Landon up in the stroller and boy was that a good work out. I made him walk down. But the kids all loved it. Especially when we saw Auntie and Carla sitting down in our row. I took a pic with my zoom lens and you can see them. Pretty cool.


The Angel Moroni statue at the top of the hill.Maney and Price kiddos at the top of the hill.

Some crazy kiddos at the top of Hill Cumorah.
It was a pretty hot day, so when we got back down to the bottom, Darin took the kids and a blanket and hung out in the shade under a tree on the side. I tried taking Landon in the visitor center with me, but he was less than cooperative, so that didn't last long. We played for a while on the side, had a picnic dinner, then all the character started coming out. It was fun to try and guess who they all were. Spencer was more into seeing them than Jordan and Landon, so he and I had our pictures taken with a few.



Here are a few of the characters we saw:


Spencer and Sarah with 2 Nephis. There were 2 because there was a scene of Lehi's vision-one Nephi in the scene of the family in the wilderness, and one Nephi in the vision.
These guys were in the Samuel the Lamanite scene. Forgot their actual titles.


Spencer and I with Lehi."is that a bad guy" Asks Spencer-yup. King Noah. "oh yeah" We know that story. The kids love the picture from the gospel art kit. They like the leopard, or what ever animal it is in the pic.

Spencer with Mormon

I did miss a bit of excitement. I had to take Spencer to the bathroom one last time just before it started, and apparently I missed seeing Donny Osmond who was jut about 1o rows or so in front of us. Darin said there was big crowd around him and Darin a bit earlier he had overheard a lady say that her highlight of the sacred grove earlier in the day was seeing Donny Osmond there. Guess we timed it wrong:)

So the pageant started and I had very attentive children!! They loved it and watched the whole time. Well, Jordan made it through the whole thing, Spencer about half, and Landon fell asleep fairly soon after it started. And Kaalie and Sarah really loved it as well.


I started to take pictures, but then I couldn't get the shots I wanted and I wanted to just sit back and enjoy it, so here are just a few from the beginning.

Here's a pic to show the size and scope of the cast. It was huge. Truly amazing.

Lehi's family in the wilderness.

Lehi's tree of life vision. On a side note, something else pretty cool happened that day. We had found a fun little diner for lunch, then went to a small grocery store to get a few missing items for our picnic dinner at the pageant. My friends Karin and Marion were ahead of me in the store. I walked into the produce section and I heare this voice exclaim "Marion Olson." I went to see what was going on and it was a great friend who had been a nanny in Boston years ago and was in our singles ward. We had all lost touch with each other. She was with the missionary who converted her, who my friends also know since she had lived in Boston as a nanny before Cathy did. Such a small world. So we chatted a while and exchanged information. Later at the pageant we ran into her again and our kids played a bit. Oh, that reminds me that we also saw another friend from the old singles ward years ago when we were leaving the Sacred Grove. So fun when that happens. It is fun to be in touch with my friend Cathy again. I love the connection we all have as members of the church!!!

No comments: