Thursday, December 9, 2010

The real meaning of Christmas

I was at Spencer's school today and another mom was there. We asked the teacher if we could have a Christmas party for the kids. She said she had a Jehovah's Witness in her class so there would be no party, but maybe a winter celebration after the Holidays.

WHAT?

We were seriously so upset. I cannot believe that because of one or two students, the rest of the class cannot celebrate. CRAZY!! I don't get it. What is Christmas? it is a Christian holiday. I got a bunch of responses about it on Facebook, some of which stated that it is about family and love, etc. Yes it is, but if you don't believe or want to celebrate the birth of Christ, then don't say Christmas. Call it something else.

But really, how did Christmas evolve over time? What are the roots....easy and simple...the birth of Christ. No matter what you believe, this is historic-this holiday we celebrate in December is to acknowledge, celebrate, revere, and worship the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ.

Then my next soap box is why it is so taboo to even mention God in school? How the heck was our country started? Seriously....what were the early settlers fighting for? How have we gotten to the point we are? This country is entirely too PC!

Yes, we are now a melting pot, with lots of different cultures and religions, faiths, etc; but in general we are a Christian country. Why do people get so offended? Can't you just sit something out if you don't believe in it? I know that if we were living in a Muslim country, or Buhdist country they would go ahead with their celebrations even with us Christians there.

I love learning about different religions. I lived with a Jewish family as a nanny. I took part in celebrations of all their holidays and attended the Bar Mitzvah of the youngest boy I took care of. I loved it. They learned about me- and even has a small Christmas tree in their house for Christmas. Of course I didn't convert, and it didn't take away from my beliefs, only strengthened my love for this family.

Ahhh.... I could just go on and on, but I'll stop for now.

Let me just finish by saying that I look forward to celebrating with awe the birth of my Savior Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Ryann said...

I may be a devil's advocate but why do they need a party? My kids don't get a party. And they don't care either. I would not get so upset about it. Most schools these days only allow non-religious celebrations. The teacher is just trying to respect everyone in her class. I'm sure that she has other fun activities for them to do. Religious fun activities should be done at home anyway-not in a classroom environment-regardless if it just pc or not. I understand that you are upset about it but I just disagree with you. There is a reason for a separation of church and state.