Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mommy guilt

So today I have had a big case of mommy guilt. Here is what happened and why I feel horrible.

I have to preface it by saying that Darin is out of town, and when he travels, it takes me forever to fall asleep, so I have not had my usual sleep. Also, I have been exercising again after quite a hiatus, so my muscles are killing me. Not great excuses, but none the less, it is how I feel.

2:30 am: screaming from Spencer's room. I go in, the light is on, he is sitting in the middle of the floor crying his eyes out. "I peed" he manages to get out. This is an extremely rare thing for Spencer. It is probably onle about the third time since he was potty trained, so he gets very distraught. He had emptied his drawer to find new underwear and pajamas. Well, mommy was probably not as nice and compassionate as she could have been. We put a towel on the bed-I know, totally lazy but not going to change the sheets at 2:30 am. He went right back to sleep. Amazingly enough, Landon never woke up.

4:00am: screaming and crying from Jordan's room. "mommy, mommy, mommy, I peed." I was not nice, hence the mommy guilt. I was so annoyed because I agreed to let her sleep in her leotard and undies, instead of a pull up. I was just so mad, and let her know too much. The first thing I said was "how come you didn't feel the pee coming," which probably wasn't the most kind thing to say. She was still wrapped up in her quilt, so I had to pull the soaked pull up and leotard off her. I had to look for undies because there were none in her drawer-they were all in a basket in my room. I think I had her put a pair from the day before on...again, really lazy, but who can think straight at that time of the night. Got a towel and put it on her bed-definitely not changing her bed in the middle of the night. Her comforter was wet, so in a fit, I yanked it off her bed to get a dry side for her to use and sent a ton of toys flying....uhg, it wasn't pretty.

I know I was ranting and raving the whole time-"why can't you just get up and pee" etc, and when I went back to bed, I just felt sooo incredibly bad. I handled that one really horribly. A big fat F. When layed down it took me a while to get back to sleep because I just kept thinking of a conversation I had with a friend a while back. We had been discussing getting up at night to tend to the needs of our children. She had the opinion that we are their mothers and it is our job to get up with our children in the night and take care of them, and do it with joy and happiness. Well, I know that I am the mother, but night times are soo hard for me. I don't get up with joy and am certainly not happy about having my sleep disrupted. It was more acceptable and enjoyable when they were infants, but we are past that stage and I LIKE MY SLEEP. Good sleep=happy mommy.

Any ideas on bedwetting, send em my way!

3 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

I'm sorry, but this is so funny. Just because I am sooo the same about night time. I MUST have my sleep. I get so mad if one of the girls wakes me up at night. I'm not very nice about it at all. That is one of my THINGS. Except for lately. I've been cuddling Elle if she wakes up and needs to eat. I think, because she may be my last, and I can't believe she's growing up so fast!! But, everyone around here knows, that mommy likes her sleep :)

Miller Family said...

Good times in mommy-land.

Chanda said...

Wendi I hear you!!! The older my kids get or possibly the older I get the harder it is for me to deal with middle of the night drama.