Friday, July 17, 2009

Tell it like it is...

Leave it up to my children to be completely candid with people. We had a funny exchange with a neighbor tonight. This is a really nice lady. She has been really helpful in the past-when Jordan was in preschool, Landon was always asleep when I had to pick her up. I could always count on Margaret to come and tend the boys for a couple minutes to either drop her off or pick her up. Or if it was really raining or cold, she would help me out. My kids really love her and her husband Jim.

So, Spencer noticed something on Margaret tonight. To first explain a little, she is smoker, and unfortunately, it has taken it's toll on her.

Spencer: You have cracks in your eyes, Margaret.
Marg: What?
Spencer: You have cracks in your eyes.
Marg: Yes, they get red and might look like that.
Me: What do you mean Spencer?
Spencer: Cracks
Me:can you point and show us what you mean?

Spencer proceeds to point to the wrinkles around Margaret's eyes.....Oh boy! Inside I was laughing so hard, but tried not to show it.

Margaret: Oh, those are what you call "crow's feet." Some people are really nice and call them "laugh lines."

Me thinking to myself: that's what years of smoking does.

Margaret proceeds to tell me a funny story about a lady at her dentist thinking she was on Medicare. She proceeds to ask the kids how old she is.....big mistake!!

Marg: How old do you think I am, Jordan?
Spence: 5
Jordan: I don't know...maybe 70
Marg: Oh, it goes from bad to worse.

Jim and I were laughing so hard at this point.

I had to go and stop Landon from ringing a neighbor's doorbell and when I come back, I hear that the following exchange happened.

Marg:I am 57
Jordan: that's in the 70's...see I was right.

Luckily Margaret is super nice, so I don't think she took offense. It was just so funny. I'll never forget "cracks in your eyes."

Kids do say the darndest things!!!

1 comment:

Ryann said...

My kids used to say that about red lines that you get in your eyes when you are tired. Kids can always be counted on for a laugh!