Thursday, July 16, 2009

We got a new car.....

well....kind of. Seems like lots of parts in the engine of our car ganged up on us and decided they were done working all at the same time and desired to live out the rest of their lives in the used car parts heaven. And they were in cahoots with the brakes and tailgate of the van as well. We know something was up with all the wonderful noises the van would make when I would start up-old belts sound wonderful.....Seems like it has a mind of it's own..darn it!! Guess 111,000 miles was enough for the parts and we finally realized that the noises and "check engine" light was coming on for a reason!!

We took the car in last Friday. I asked Darin what they said and the first thing he asked me was "how much do you like that car?" The van failed emissions and safety, so I knew we couldn't sell it in that conditions. The new ones are a little bigger, so the thought of a new one is nice, but since the only upgrades we would want-besides the obvious more space and newer body- is 2 remote controlled sliding doors and a DVD player, we decided to do all the repairs and the van stayed at the "car doctor" as we explained to the kids, until Tuesday. Having to put the kids in Darin's car for 5 days next to each other and dealing with opening and closing regular car doors made me realize how much I LOVE my van. It is sooo much easier putting them in the van. I love opening the slider doors and not worrying that the kids, or me, are going to hit the car next to me. Although I must say, the kids did really well sitting next to each other-I think putting Landon in the middle was the key:) They loved the fact that they could reach the windows and put their hands out a little.

Overall, I am glad we did it and I do think the van drives better. It is nice to start up and drive off without all the extra noises-just normal engine noises!!! I do feel better knowing it won't break down on me when I least expect it. The mechanic said it will go another 100,000 miles...so you won't see me posting about getting a new car for many years!!!!!

1 comment:

kristi said...

glad to know you love your mini van. i can't wait to get mine...just for the fact of more room and the doors.