Sunday, August 9, 2009

Continuing on down the Coast.

We read about some rocks that made a natural geyser and I think accidentally found it as we were driving along. It helped that there were a few cars pulled over watching. It was really neat to watch, when I finally saw it. I looked for it, took some pictures then went back to the car and told Darin I didn't see it. He went and immediately came back and laughed at me telling me he saw it immediately. I went back out and immediately saw it....but I swear it was the change of the tide in only the few minutes time.

This pic is the end of one wave that went in

And here she is in all her glory. Pretty cool, huh? I could have stood there forever watching. The ocean is such an amazing thing.
After driving and looking at sights, we found Haceta Head Lighthouse, which is pretty famous. There was a bit of a hike, which was rough, because once again, Spencer had just woken up and was not going to walk. We tried both of them in the stroller, but luckily Lanny wanted to walk. Well, I think we carried him a bit, but he loved to explore. It was an amazing view from the vista where the lighthouse was.

They had been doing some construction and Landon had fun with the tape.
Haceta Head Lighthouse. We decided to take a tour and had to wait a while. The kids ran around and had fun. Only one drawback:bugs and lots of them. We finally had our turn, but Darin's tour was cut short due some restless boys and some stern looks and pauses of a cranky tour guide. The acoustics are quite something inside a lighthouse. I tried to get him to come back in for the walk to the top, but he stayed with the boys.
Steps to the top. It was very interesting. They get more narrow as you go to the top. And they don't touch the sides of the lighthouse, either. Just suspended there....yikes. It was much easier than the Astoria Column.
Very cool view of the crystal panels at the top.
Some more of the flowers I just loved. They were on the path up to the lighthouse.
We drove along a little further after we left the lighthouse and found another spot where there were lots of cars. It was a great view of where we had just left. And I got out to take pictures and heard tons of sea lions. We were really close to a famous attraction called the Sea Lion Caves, but were told we were just as close to them where we were and didn't have to go down a ton of steps or pay a lot of money. They were really fun to watch, once again.

They look like slugs from a distance. When they lay down they tuck all there fins and tails in. Really funny.





Here is a view of the Haceta Head light House from the road. When we were there I read a book about people who had visited. There was one couple who loved it so much the got married there. I don't how the guest would have felt about the uphill hike to get there...
We got Jordan out of the car to see the sea lions on the rocks below. She felt so special every time she could get out of the car to look. It was too hard to unbuckle the boys every time. They didn't mind too much, but every once in a while Lanny would cry "I wanna come too." Besides being a pain to unbuckle, the drop offs at all the stops were enough to make me a nervous wreck if the boys were running around, so they were much safer in the car.
As we continued on we kept seeing signs for Oregon Dunes. I wanted to get a really good look at them, but I was really worn out by this time. We did stop at a nice lookout so I could get a look. While I was taking this pic, there there was a girl out there running up and down the dunes....sure don't know how she did that!! You get worn out walking on sand! I would have loved to try going out on an ATV, but with my luck I would probably have crashed like I did on snowmobiles years ago:)
We stopped another place to try to see a long expanse of dunes like we saw in a picture. We decided two places to stop and look was enough. I walked up a big hill to get this view. Darin told me to see if it was worth the walk. It was really pretty, but he wouldn't have wanted to walk up and see just the beach.

Is anyone bored of reading this blog yet? I am about half way done, so hang in there! Lots more good stuff to come:)

No comments: