Sunday, August 16, 2009

Whew...this is the LAST vacation post!!!

We went to the Oregon Caves National Monument. It was pretty cool, but we wished we had learned more about it before we drove up to it. We didn't know that the boys weren't big enough. Darin was really annoyed. So Jordan and I did the "moderately strenuous" walk through the cave, which included around 525 steps. It made me realize how out of shape I really am...(have been in denial...)

Anyhow, Jordan loved it. She had to be first in line during the whole tour. One time a person got ahead of us and she was mad and said "mommy, I was first, I am supposed to be first." She was cute.

Some of the sights inside the cave.


Darin really wanted to squeeze in a trip to Crater Lake, and even thought it was a long drive, it was SO worth it. The place is amazing. Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the US and the 7th deepest lake in the world. It is basically a sunken in volcano, and has no outlets to any other bodies of water. It is really blue, but we were there on an overcast day, so the pics really don't show it. There is a hike to the bottow-if you want to hike a mile straight down and back up. There is a twice a day trip to the little island, but apparently swimmers don't last so long because the water is freezing cold.

Oh, I forgot I put this pic in-we saw this tree a lot in Oregon and thought it was pretty cool.


This is one of my favorite pics of our whole time. Jordan sure loves her daddy!! Crater Lake in the background.
Aren't these just the cutest boys ever?
The kids were amazed to see that there was still snow on the ground around the lake. It is actually snow covered a large percentage of the year. I really cannot express how gorgeous this place is. It was a little scary driving around the rim-yikes!! Darin laughed at me because it made me so nervous, but he was driving so didn't have the same perspective that I did. He kept telling me he grew up in the mountains. I don't care where you grew up-hug the inside line, ok? Stay as far away from the edge as possible!!
I just thought this was a cute shot. It was a little nerve racking to let Landon run around. We quickly decided that he needed to be strapped into the stroller so Darin and I wouldn't be nervous wrecks!!
Couple more views. We just walked around and looked at the lade forever. It is really breathtaking. This pic was actually one of the first stops we made when we really couldn't believe how it looks in person.

I thought this was a cool view.
So finally Saturday came to go home. Unfortunately our first flight was delayed, then when we got to Dallas, the same thing happened. Only after they kept changing the gate and posting different things on all the monitors. Thank goodness for a kiddie area.
We had one of the worst flights EVER on the way home, but the second flight was ok. When we arrived at BWI it was around 2:15 ish. The kids had all been sleeping, so the boyss both wanted to ride in the stroller...this was the best we could do. Spencer was not so happy. We walked outside to wait for Darin, and it was like hitting a brick wall. Humidity...yup, welcome home! I took my camera out to take a picture and it fogged up!
What a trip. We racked up 1400 miles in 10 days!! Tons of fun times and memories..thanks for taking us, Darin!!

No comments: