Monday, October 25, 2010

"Air and Scare"

On Saturday we went to the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum-an extension of the Smithsonian downtown. I had read about it it the paper, but kind of forgot until I heard it on the radio. I talked a very hesitant Darin into taking the kids.

We know it would be crowded, but did not expect to sit in a massive line of cars to get in. It was crazy, and when we left at around 4:45, the line was even longer.

I felt like it was a really fun activity, and wasn't too expensive it you figure that we had our family of 5, plus one of Spencer's friends, we paid the $15 for parking, but the rest was free.

After waiting in line, we finally got in. It was pretty busy, but I did expect that. We went to the floor and did some crafts, pretended to be ghost busters, race against witch balloons, shot air guns, got candy, did robots, had face painting done, and saw Star Wars Characters.
There was a nice alien greeting us as we went in.
Here are the kids aiming the air guns at some ghosts that were hung up. The JROTC would line them up and talked to them like they were on a training mission. Spencer and his friend Gabey got some personal assistance from a nice soldier.


I thought it was great that they had a bunch of face painter. The line moved pretty well. The boys all got face paint. I was pretty happy it was a small picture rather than the whole face kind they got at Silver Diner once.
A dragon for Spencer, or should I say Mario!The kids all really loved the robots. It was pretty funny to see them try to go through the maze. Most of the kids there just controlled it for a while, then gave the controller to the people in line. It was funny because the boys in charge asked me if Landon was Yoshi. I said yes and they one kid said "I told you he was Yoshi" to another one.

Oh and on a related note, I think it would be safe to say that the most repeated costume there was Mario. I kept trying to get Jordan to be Princess Peach, but she did not like the color of the dress. Stinker!
Here's Spencer with his little friend Amelia. Such a cute witch!
The boys with some star wars characters. I tried to get them to stand by Darth Vader, but they weren't

It was really a fun day! If you live here and love Star Wars, you should put it on your calendar for next year:)

No comments: