Sunday, January 3, 2010

Twenty One years later

I felt really great when I woke up today. So happy to have later church. No need to rush or have he usual drama trying to get out of the door for 9:00 church. I got up and got ready before the kids were even awake-getting ready at 8:00 is way better than 7:00 on Sunday morning. Then I got the kids breakfast, put dinner in the crockpot, and checked facebook.

Then I felt really sad. I read a post my sister put up on Facebook and realized that it hadn't yet dawned on me that it is January 3rd. Always a sad day for my family. Even as the years add up, it is still fresh on my mind. I remember the phone call like it was yesterday. I was up in my room and my grandma and grandpa called me downstairs. I knew there was a problem when I saw the bishop and one of my young women's leader sitting in our living room. My mother had died and it was January 3rd 1989.

The following weeks were a whirlwind of changes for my 3 little sisters and myself. I was about a month from turning 16, so didn't get to make many choices-was told where we would live, told we had to change our last name because my grandparents had to adopt us to get military ID cards (which we found out years later wasn't necessary). I was working on getting my drivers license, but my grandparents stopped that process. My sisters gradually decided not to go to church anymore. Eventually I went to college and my sisters left my grandparents and lived with other relatives.

So today I have been thinking of my mom. She was such an amazing lady and everyone loved her. I miss her but am thankful for the 16 wonderful years we did share on this earth. It is really a blink in the eternal span of time. I am so grateful for the gospel and the knowledge I have of the plan of salvation. I know I will be in her presence again. The day after I was able to receive my endowments in the DC temple in 1993, I was able to go through for her. Such a blessing for me, and for her since she was always talking about going to the temple. I look forward to the day when I can introduce her to my family-they will love her!!

4 comments:

Ryann said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have often thought about you and losing your mother at such a young age. I think if your mother was still her, she would be amazed at what you have accomplished. You wonderful Wendi!

Janie said...

I am so sorry Wendi. I know it does not even compare but I remember my parents divorce in a similar way. I was old enough to have solid opinions but too young to effect what was going on around me.
You are a relisent woman and like Ryann said your mother is proud of you!!

I also let anniversary's pass by sometimes (like my father and brother's death) and I don't know if I should feel badly or happy that I am not focused on the sadness.

Leslie Green said...

It was a hard day for you, but your writing is very touching. I bet it helped to put it out there. I know it does for me. See you soon!

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

That's a tough one Wendi! You are amazing :) Staying true to the gospel, and having a wonderful family. You have so many great friends everywhere you go. Your children are so blessed to have you! And someday, you will see her again, and it will be most fabulous!!