Monday, September 15, 2008

Gratitude

Many of our friends and family already know that for the last 2 years, Jordan has been able to be a "model child" in a Special Ed preschool. In her first year I was able to go and help out in the classroom twice a week. I really fell in love with all the children. It was amazing to see them progress. A couple of the children had pretty severe speech delays and could hardly say much. By the end of the year, I would walk in the room and they would yell "Wendi" really cute. I just loved em!! Jordan's favorite was a little boy who had a genetic disorder and couldn't walk or talk. She sat by him at lunch everyday. If you got right in his face and talked to him, he would laugh and smile.

Well, now Spencer is doing the same thing. He has the same teacher Jordan had when she was 3, so she again asked me to come and help twice a week. I go after they have eaten lunch, help clean up and read them books until time to put backpacks on and lineup to go out to the buses. It is really fun. I started last Friday and after the day, I had such a realization that I am truly blessed with 3 healthy, well developing children. There is a little boy with Down Syndrome in the class. He was a handful!! He kept smacking my bottom, would grab and pull on me, and kept trying to escape. He would grab all the books I was trying to read to the boys and plop himself down on my lap. I thought what a handful...but so cute. Then I wondered how it was at home with him. I wondered about his parents-how they cope with such a child.

So, each time chaos ensues in my house, I have to stop and think that my child has a brain that functions and she or he is clearly thinking about what he is doing. Like this morning when I told Jordan not to watch TV while I was making pancakes. I realized she was watching it with the sound off....a little sneaky, but great thinking!! When the kids are climbing, running away, jumping on the couch....etc, I need to stop and be thankful that they have two arms and two legs that work perfectly!! What a blessing!!

Thank you Heavenly Father for wonderful Healthy children!!!

2 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

We are so blessed to have healthy children. I thought I wanted a boy, but found out that no matter what I had, as long as they were healthy, that is the only thing that matters! And Heavenly Father knows who we need in our families. I LOVE my beautiful girls so much! I can't imagine life without either one. And the best part is all the cute little girl clothes!! I love dressing them the same :) Bottom line...I am very glad and thankful to have two healthy little children!

Valerie Anderson said...

I couldn't help but cry when I read this. Thank you for teaching your children at such a young age. My oldest son who is almost 8 was born with some pretty serious handicaps. He is in a wheelchair and will never talk. I try to tell mothers to not take anything for granted. A simple I love you is something I will never hear from my son. I am thankful for what he has taught me because with the twins I take nothing for granted. I listen to EVERY word they say and applaud EVERY milestone they make. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated reading that.