Friday, June 5, 2009

Disney/Pixar's Misleading New Film

The kids had begged to see the new Disney/Pixar film "Up" since seeing the cute commercials on TV about a grumpy old man who floats his house away to the jungles of South America and the cute Cub Scout who stows away. So Darin took Jordan and Spencer to see it last night. There was a cute short about storks and clouds before the film, which they all loved. Then the movie started. It was very melodramatic at the beginning with two kids. It showed them grow up, get married, not be able to have children, grow old together, and then the wife died without fulfilling her dream of going to South America. Some developers get the old man committed to a nursing home so they can tear down his house, so he attaches bunch of balloons and floats the house away, along with a cute Cub Scout stow-away. This was the point where the movie diverged from its cute, kid-friendly advertising to young kid-unfriendly territory. A big storm came up, which scared Jordan and she started to cry. They got to South America and found some exotic bird. They then met a psychotic explorer who wants the bird.

The rest of the film is basically about how the explorer tries to murder the old man and boy to get the bird. The explorer released a pack of scary dogs on them, then he tried to burn down the old guy's house, then he almost murdered the old guy with a sword, then he tried to shoot the kid with a shotgun. Disney certainly didn't advertise this level of violence in the film. Of course, Jordan cried during each of these scenes and she begged Darin for them to leave right away. Spencer showed he was brave and said “I wasn’t scared” after each of the scenes. The movie cheers up once the explorer nearly kills them and then falls to his death.

Spencer liked the movie, but Jordan and Darin hated it. We were annoyed by the misleading advertising for the film. We've never had to pre-screen a Disney/Pixar film before to see if it was appropriate for our kids, but I guess we can't trust them anymore.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryann said...

I haven't even seen that advertised yet. Guess we'll skip it.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

All the comments I've heard have been good ones. My sister and others even say this is one to buy! It made them cry etc.. So, Chris and I are going to take the girls to it. I'll let you know what I think after that. I didn't read your whole blog, because I didn't want everything to be reavealed...but I could tell you weren't liking it.

flem-fam said...

I'm glad you reviewed it for us. We were going to see it tomorrow. I guess we won't!

Nathan said...

I actually went to see this at the midnight premier and loved it! However I totally see your point. It definitely isn't for little kiddies...way too scary! This is more for older elementary-aged kids, I'd say...

rachael said...

I have heard really conflicting reviews of this movie. One of our friend's son cried because he was terrified of the scary dogs and our other friend's daughter loved the movie and wants to buy it when it comes out on video...

I think we'll wait to see it on video..