Monday, January 5, 2009

How hard will I have to try?

I am sitting here while Jordan is having a fit on the steps. I need to take a break from getting really angry, so I figured I will do this quick. I have to vent..... I am just wondering how hard I have to try before we can have good Family Home Evenings where the children cooperate and learn? We try every Monday night and is not getting any easier!! When will this happen? I feel so frustrated because we are trying so hard to do what we are supposed to do and feel like there is no progress. Jordan was super excited about this paticular lesson-she did it in her primary class yesterday, so we tried it, the boys, and Jordan at times, were not too cooperative. I even spent almost 2 hours last night, and at least that long today cutting it out of the book and laminating it.....Anyhow after the failed lesson, I had a little heart to heart with Jordan and Spencer while Darin was playing with Landon, about their behavior. They seemed to undestand but then when I let Spencer go upstairs first, Jordan called him stupid and had a fit. Ugh....Ugh.....I feel like "why try?" Oh.....better get them in bed, then maybe if I can look at their peaceful sleepy faces in a little while I will feel better.

4 comments:

Ferndale said...

When you find out, let me know!

Chanda said...

I'm sorry Wendi. If it makes you feel any better our FHEs are super, super simple. They last (not counting dessert) no more than 15 minutes--usually more like 10. We say some prayers, sing some songs, give a short lesson and then dessert. Every once in a while we play a game but that usually lasts too long and the girls throw a fit when we tell them it is time to stop and go to bed. So, no game typically. And we use dessert as an incentive for good behavior. Hope this helps--despite it being such a short, simple thing we are very regular about having it and we all look forward to it.

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Wendi, Just keep is simple!! We are teaching the new Sunbeams, and sometimes they get up, run around the room, etc.. It feels like they aren't listening, but I know that they are getting something out of it, just by being at church and hearing what we are saying. So don't be too hard on them, they are so little still. Just as long as you are doing it, they will remember, and get something out of it for sure! :)

Sarah said...

As the old saying goes...Family Home Evening is the only fight that begins and ends with a prayer.