Wednesday, January 28, 2009

We got a new table!

Well, not brand new, but new to us!!

As you can see, our table was getting a little warn. The varnish was showing signs of age and lots of use, so I decided it needed a face lift. I was in a restaurant one day and thougth to myself "it would be nice if our table had a nice finish like this." I went to home depot and found some stuff called "Super glaze. " And decided to try it.

Here is the before picture...this is after I had started sanding....and without the leaf, then I realized I had to do the leaf as well so it would be even.

And here is the finished product!!! I was so happy when I saw it in the morning! It was quite a process, so I was happy it turned out well. I learned a lot, andwould probably do much better next time, but nonetheless, it is great.

A close up of the wood. Oak is hard because it is a really grainy wood-it doesn't get perfectly flat. I sanded, sanded, sanded and then sanded some more. I wasn't sure the color would be even, but was so pleased when the natural color came out so well.


So now it cleans off really well, the kids can play with playdough without bits of finish getting in the playdough, and I can roll out cookies if I want!! I must say that I am quite proud of myself for completing this project!!













2 comments:

Lynette said...

That table looks awesome!!!! Great job!!!

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Wow, you did a great job with that table. It looks brand new!! Loving it. And the room looks so good. I like your pictures etc.. and the green is a really great color. I just painted my laundry room a really great green like that, kind of pistachio or something.

I love what you did. I just love decorating! You were brave to do it all by yourself, and while your hubby was away.

Thanks for sharing :)