Thursday, March 5, 2009

Insights while cleaning

So, I really wanted to go to Potomac Mills and meet up with some friends who were shopping there today. But I got Jordan and Spencer into the dentist tomorrow, so I figured I should stay home today and do all the things I would have been doing tomorrow, had it been a normal day. Bummer to miss shopping....but it is nice to have clean sheets and clean clothes to wear.

I actually started last night and sorted all the laundry in the house. I went down before the kids woke up today and started a load. After I dropped Jordan and Spencer off at school, I came straight home and got cracking. I got all the laundry down and cleaned the family room downstairs and worked my way up with the vacuum. Did the kids beds, vacuumed their rooms, and played with trains with Landon in between. Now, this is not unusual, I do clean my house....well....sort of....anyhow I got to thinking as I cleaned and Landon tormented me by turning the vacuum on and off. Here are some of my thoughts

  • I know you can never imagine it, but I have been known to whine and complain about the size of my house:) So I was thinking today that I should be really grateful that I have a house to live in. I saw Oprah last week about all tent cities that are popping up all over the country...I could not believe it. Normal people who had jobs and houses then lost them both now live in tents!! Most of them had not told any family members about their circumstances. I couldn't believe that was happening!! I felt so sad for them. I have a house, I am protected from bad weather, I have furniture, running water, food and a parking spot, which I love, in general a place where our family is safe from the world. So what if I want new paint, some stuff shows signs of wear and tear, and I wish I could decorate better, it is our home and I love it. I am so grateful that Darin was so smart and bought within his means and can afford to pay for our house. On that note, I am so happy he has a pretty safe job as well! Stop complaining, Wendi.
  • I need to give myself more credit than I do. Yes, my house tends to get messy and cluttery, but under it all, there is a method to my madness. I do have things more organized than I think. Toys all have a certain place to be, even if they are not aways there. Books have a place to be, and I am anal about where they are place on the shelves...certain ones have to be together, etc. All the kids clothes they have grown out of are organized in bins in age/season groups. The kids dressers are organized and the clothes do get folded and put in the correct place. I am very anal retentive about laundry-something I love to do. I know, very crazy. I realized if I just keep on top of it, the kids things are organized. So what if sometimes we go to bed with toys all over the floor, they will be there in the morning...and yes, Jordan loves to use the dining room as her personal office, but at least she can write and is close to being called a readery. I do have to figure something out for papers that pile up-ya know mail and school papers, etc, but overall, I am not doing as bad as I usually think I am.
  • As I cleaned, I realized how blessed our children are. Man, they really have so many wonderful toys, books, DVD's lots of nice clothes, they have good food, and a father who can pay the mortgage and has a good job. I had to remind myself that when I think something like "the boys really need a train table" that they really don't. I did also find many, many things, mostly toys that lay untouched, that will be sold in the consignment sale. I am not even going to give my kids the option-I am finding things little by little and am putting them away to sell. It will be interesting to see if they ask for any of it after it is gone.
  • My house is so familiar to me now,it is home. I think I have lived in this house here at 6109 Hyacinth Drive longer than any other house in my entire life. That is crazy!! I cannot believe it!! I moved in almost 6 1/2 yrs ago. We came home here as newlyweds, and have brought 3 children into hour home. We have had so much fun here. Rough times as well, but many many laughs. We have wonderful neighbors who have been so good to us through the years. With all my whining, moaning, etc, if we ever decide to move, it will be really emotional to leave this house.

Does this happen to you when you clean your house? I guess I really need to clean more. Makes me thankful. And it is sooo nice to sit in a clean house. I do love my house and am very grateful for it. So if you ever hear me whine and moan about it, please remind me of this post:):)

2 comments:

Jorgensen Family Blog said...

Wendi, it's great that you've had time to reflect on the things you have, and feel gratitude for them. Sometimes we can get caught up in the things we don't have, and can concentrate on the things we want, instead of being greatful for what we do have.

My husband is determined that we will move someday, because our house is just too small, and not right. But, with all the work we've put into it, I'd rather concentrate on how much I like it. Not it's imperfections. Which it has a few :)

It's funny, that when I'm cleaning, I usually have time to think about things too. I guess cleaning is a good thing!!

Chanda said...

I love your house too Wendi. It is comfortable, happy, and kid-friendly. I associate it with good conversation and good food.