Saturday, March 7, 2009

Jordan's new source of stress....

So, the dentist gave Jordan a warning about sucking her thumb, but she has now become a stress case about it. It is amazing that she really took it to hearta nd I can tell that she is thinking so much about it. She mentioned it on the way home from the dentist, home from school, and a few times in the evening.

Then came bedtime....ugh. She falls asleep sucking her thumb, so it is and has been a great comfort. (When I ask her why she sucks, she says "because it makes me feel good." Well, after 3 failed attempts for she and Spencer to have a sleep over in her room, they were separated. Then Jordan had a breakdown. She would not go to bed, so finally I spent some time with her and she cried that she was hungry and thirsty and said "my mouth is dry if I can't suck my thumb." Oh man, what's a mother to do. Let her worry and feel bad and stress out at bedtime, or strike the following deal. We decided that she could not suck it during the day anymore, but could suck at night for a few days, then stop. She agreed and layed right down and started sucking away. Darin wasn't too happy with the plan, said I caved. Dang it all!! We did noticed that it was not in her mouth about an hour later when we went to bed.

Any ideas for doing away with the thumb and having a happy well adjusted child after?

No comments: